The original Magento 1 support end date was set back in November 2018, but Permira realized their error after backlash from the Magento Community. The new Magento 1 Support End Date was pushed back to June 2020 for official support.
We expect to see an increase in Magento Emergency Support requests around this time as many store owners quickly make the migration to Magento 2.
The types of support that will end:
- Security Patch Releases
- New Feature Releases
- All Work On Magento 1 by Magento will cease June 2020
The types of support that will continue after June 2020:
- Third Party Extensions MAY continue to be supported, dependent upon the individual developer’s and their policies
- OpenMage has created a community fork of the Magento 1 codebase that they are dubbing Magento1-LTS, aka Magento 1 Long Term Support.
Read the Magento Open Source Software Maintenance Policy to see which versions of Magento Open Source 1 continue to receive software security maintenance.
- Magento Forum discussing Magento 1.9 End of Life (https://community.magento.com/t5/Magento-1-x-Version-Upgrades/What-is-the-end-of-life-date-for-Magento-1-9x-community-edition/td-p/36541)
- Official Magento Blog stating their June 2020 announcement (https://magento.com/blog/magento-news/supporting-magento-1-through-june-2020)
- Magento Legal Terms Page (https://magento.com/legal/terms)
- Magento 1 Long Term Support Community (https://openmage.github.io/magento-lts/)